From Drinking and Dragons
Fuelwen's Rules of Conquest
- Never fight for fighting's sake. Fight for land, for duty, to test ones mettle, or to assert power. Battle is not its own end.
- There is no room for mercy.
- There is no room for spite.
- Speak the language. No one will be ruled by one not fluent in their native tongue.
- Study battles. Understand them, be able to visualize them in your mind. Memorize every aspect of them.
- Act. Do not delay. Let your training think for you.
- The terrain is itself a weapon. If you can choose the terrain, you will win the battle. If you cannot choose the terrain, but know it better than your enemy, you can rout them.
- The ability to act defensively is as key as being able to conquer.
- A battle evaded is a battle won.