Warden of the Fire Dragon 6 (ECL 6)
Race: Ss'ressen (Black Talon) - Sulfer Marsh
Alignment: LN | Size: M
Patron Deity: Fire Dragon
Abilities Str 10 +0 | Dex 14 +2 | Con 14 +2 | Int 10 +0 | Wis 15 +2 | Cha 16 +3 | AP 8
AC: 25 / Touch: 12, Flatfooted: 22
(+2 Dex; +2 Natural; +8 Armor; +3 Shield)
HP: 39 (Bloodied 19) / HD: 6d6+12+1
Initiative: +2 / Speed: 20'
Fort: 8 / Reflex: 5 / Will: 8
- +1 vs paralysis and sleep
- Resist 5 fire
- Resist 2 electricity and acid with shield
- Claw +4 / 1d4 / 20x2 / ps
- GMW Flail +5 / 1d8+1 / 20x2 / b
- MW Light Crossbow +7 / 1d8 / 19-20x2 / p
- Touch +4 Ranged Touch +6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. Base Attack: +4
- 1st: Draconic Aura (DrM, p16)
When you select this feat, choose a draconic aura. You can project this aura as a swift action. Its benefit applies to you and to all allies within 30 feet. The bonus of your draconic aura is +1. The aura remains in effect until you dismiss it (a free action), you are rendered unconscious or dead, or you activate another draconic aura in its place.
- Energy Shield [fire]: Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or nonreach melee weapon is dealt 2 points of energy damage for each point of your aura bonus. The energy type is that of your totem dragon's damage-dealing breath weapon.
- WFD1: Dragontouched (DrM, p18)
You gain the dragonblood subtype. You gain 1 hit point, a +1 bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks, and a +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects. In addition, you can select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer of your character level.
- 3rd: Elemental Focus: Fire (MoA, p60)
Spells that you cast with that elemental descriptor gain a +1 bonus to their save DC.
- 5th: Spell Focus: Evocation (CS, p76)
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.
ACP = -4/-5
- Cold Susceptibility: All ss’ressen suffer a –4 penalty to Dexterity, attacks, and damage rolls when in temperatures below 40˚ F. If the ss’ressen is using feats such as Weapon Finesse, to make attacks, these penalties stack (-2 from Dexterity loss and -4 to the attack, for a total penalty of -6). A successful Will save (DC 15) reduces the penalty to –2. A Ss’ressen’s racial susceptibility to cold can be negated through natural means (such as by wearing a cold weather outfit from the core rules) or through magical means (such the endure elements spell or a ring of warmth).
- Low-light Vision: Ss’ressen can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and details under these conditions.
- Natural Weapons: Ss’ressen have sharp claws for natural weapons. Unarmed ss’ressen can attack with two claws dealing (1d4+Str) points of damage for each claw that hits. Ss’ressen using one-handed melee weapons can attack with a claw as an off-handed attack that is considered a light weapon. As natural weapons, these off-handed attacks draw no attacks of opportunity.
- Ss’ressen Frenzy: Special breeding and magical manipulation by their Ssethregoran Ssanu masters have created a natural animosity and aggressiveness inherent in all ss’ressen egg clutches. The very scent of a rival ss’ressen egg clutch may drive them into a rage known as Ss’ressen Frenzy. Whenever ss’ressen of different egg clutches are within 30 feet of each other, the scent of the rival clutch ss’ressen will drive them into the frenzy unless a Will save (DC 13) is made. If the save is made, the ss’ressen may act normally. If the save is failed, the ss’ressen is driven into the frenzy and must attack the nearest rival ss’ressen in melee combat until there are no rival ss’ressen within 30 feet. While in this frenzied state, the ss’ressen gains a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and Will saves, but suffers a -2 penalty to armor class and all skill checks. Rival groups of ss’ressen may be controlled by a Ssanu or other powerful leader. If a group of ss’ressen is being lead by a Ssanu or another powerful leader, they do not need to make this frenzy check, as their fear of their masters overrides any other thoughts in their minds. This check should only be made once per combat. For the purposes of Ss’ressen Frenzy, the Black Talon, Ashen Hide, and Ghost Scale Ss’ressen are all considered be part of the same egg clutch.
- Agile: Due to the balance and support provided by their tail, Black Talon Ss’ressen gain a +2 racial bonus to Balance, Jump, and Swim skill checks.
- Natural Armor: Black Talon Ss’ressen gain a +2 natural armor bonus due to their thick, scaly hide.
Warden of the Fire Dragon
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Warden of the Fire Dragon is proficient with the bearded axe, club, dagger, heavy flail, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, and all shields (except tower shields).
- Selective Breeding: A Warden of the Fire Dragon has a very strong scent that can be detected from far away by other ss'ressen. As opposed to the usual 30' rival ss'ressen can detect and become frenzied when around this character, the range is extended to 120'. Additionally, any clutch of eggs that a Warden of the Fire Dragon helped fertilize can be detected within 120'.
- Additionally, they are more easily detected by reptiles with scent. Any reptile with scent gets a +5 bonus to locate and track a Warden of the Fire Dragon.
- Deific Breath (Su): [3d6 - DC 15 Ref] A Warden of the Fire Dragon gains the use of a breath weapon. As a standard action he can breathe a 30' cone of fire that deals 1d6 fire damage at second level, and every two levels after that the damage increases by 1d6 fire damage.
- Deific Breath can be modified by sacrificing a divine spell as a free action when using this ability. For every level of the spell sacrificed, 1d6 of the fire damage changes to 1d6 holy damage. For example, a 6th level Warden of the Fire Dragon can sacrifice a 1st level spell to breathe a cone of flame that does 2d6 fire damage and 1d6 holy damage. This holy damage does double damage to undead and evil outsiders and is not subject to reduction by fire resistance or immunity.
- You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Con modifier. Any creature in the area can make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your Warden of the Fire Dragon level + your Con modifier) for half damage.
- Lay on Hands (Su): [18 points] Beginning at 3rd level, a Warden of the Fire Dragon with a Charisma score of 12 or higher gains the lay on hands ability. A Warden of the Fire Dragon can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her Warden of the Fire Dragon level × her Charisma bonus. For example, a 7th-level Warden of the Fire Dragon with a 16 Charisma (+3 bonus) can heal 21 points of damage per day. A Warden of the Fire Dragon may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.
- Alternatively, a good aligned Warden of the Fire Dragon can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The Warden of the Fire Dragon decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.
- Path of Blood/Heart of Fire: At 5th level and every 5 levels there after a Warden of the Fire Dragon can choose a spell 2 levels below the highest level they can cast to be permanently be affected by the empower, extend, enlarge, or widen feat. Only a spell with the healing or fire sub-school can be effected by this ability. This ability does no increase the level of the spell.
- 5th: Cure Light Wounds - Empowered
Dragonscale Husk (Dragon Magic p12)
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain proficiency with any kind of armor. It you would later gain some form of armor proficiency (such as by multiclassing or taking a feat), you can choose at that time to gain that proficiency, but you then lose this class feature. If you already have proficiency with any kind of armor, you must lose that proficiency in order to select this class feature.
Benefit: You gain the extraordinary ability to grow a thick, scaly hide that protects you like armor. The dragonscale husk resembles the scales of a dragon of your choice (selected when you gain the class feature). The husk requires 8 hours to grow, but this process can take place at night while you are sleeping.
Your scaled hide grants you a bonus to your Armor Class equal to 6 + 1/3 your class level in the class that granted you heavy armor proficiency (+7 bonus to AC at 3rd level, +8 bonus to AC at 6th level, and so on, up to a maximum +12 bonus to AC at 18th level). Multiple classes that grant this proficiency stack for determining the dragonscale husk's total bonus. This bonus doesn't stack with any feat, racial trait, or other special ability that would grant you a bonus to Armor Class.
In addition, as you attain higher levels, your husk grants you increasing resistance to fire. You gain resistance 5 at 5th level, resistance 10 at 10th level, resistance 15 at 15th level, and resistance 20 at 20th level.
Your dragonscale husk is treated as medium armor for the purpose of determining your speed and whether you can use class features or other special abilities. It allows a maximum Dexterity bonus to Armor Class of +2 and has an armor check penalty of –4. You can sleep in your husk without penalty. You cannot wear any other armor while your husk is present.
Your husk isn't treated as armor for the purpose of being affected by spells or other abilities. You can't grant it an enhancement bonus with magic vestment, nor can you imbue it with special properties, as you could a normal suit of armor.